What information do I need to file with an abatement application?

Provide the information described below that is pertinent to your abatement application:

  • Vehicle Sold or Traded: Bill of sale (or name and address of purchaser) and proof of cancellation (plate return receipt or lost plate affidavit (form C-19) from the Registry of Motor Vehicles) or new registration if plates transferred to another vehicle.
  • Moved from Massachusetts: Copy of MA plate return receipt and a copy of the new state registration.
  • Vehicle Stolen or Totaled: Police report or insurance company settlement letter (not the incident date) and proof of cancellation or transfer of registration.
  • Moved to Another City / Town: Copy of insurance coverage selections page showing the place of garaging as of January 1st of the taxing year or as of the date of registration of the vehicle.

Show All Answers

1. What is motor vehicle excise tax?
2. Who must pay an excise tax?
3. What is the tax rate?
4. What happens if an excise bill is overdue?
5. How do I change the mailing address on my excise bill?
6. How can I pay a bill that is held at the Deputy Collector's office?
7. How are vehicles valued?
8. Who qualifies for an abatement?
9. Who qualifies for an exemption?
10. When must I file for an abatement or exemption on excise?
11. Where must I file for an abatement?
12. Where do I get an application for abatement?
13. What is the minimum tax?
14. What information do I need to file with an abatement application?
15. How long does it take to receive an abatement once it is filed?