Motor Vehicle Information on Required Documentation

Attention Motor Vehicle Excise Abatement Applicants

To be timely filed, an application must be received by the assessors within three years after the excise was due, or one year after the excise was paid, whichever is later. You also need to include verification of the statements on the application. Please provide an item from each list below.

To Show Disposition of the Vehicle (One of the Following)

  • Copy of bill of sale
  • Copy of trade-in paperwork
  • Copy of both sides of the signed over title
  • Copy of new registration (for those who have moved and re-registered)

To Show Disposition of the Plate(s) (One of the Following)

  • Copy of new registration for transferred plates
  • Copy of Plate Return Receipt from the Registry
  • Copy of Lost/Stolen Plate Affidavit from the Registry

Abatement Application for Other Reasons

If you are applying for abatement because you do not now or never have had a vehicle garaged in Deerfield, please provide proof of your address (a copy of an excise or other bill at your current address). If you moved from Deerfield to another town within the Commonwealth, please provide a copy of your insurance coverage selection sheet showing the new garaging address and the date it was changed.

If you have further questions, please contact our office.